January 2018 Campbell Supt. Talks
10 days ago
Happy New Year! As we begin the 2018 calendar year and second semester of the current school year, it’s a great opportunity to reflect on all we have accomplished this year to date!
Notable accomplishments, awards, and events during the 1st semester include:
- Hosting KS Commissioner of Education, Dr. Randy Watson, for community informational “A New Day in Kansas Education” presentation.
- Honoring WHS Math teacher, Sarah VenJohn, named 2018 Kansas Teacher of the Year Finalist.
- Honoring WMS Principal, Dave Hammer, named Kansas Region IV Secondary Principal of the Year.
- Honoring WHS Social Studies teacher, Kris Trimmer, named the 2017 Dr. Earl Reum Kansas Student Council Advisor of the Year.
- Recognizing Irving Elementary 1st grade teacher, Jennifer Dougherty, 1 of 200 Kansas educators named a Kansas ECETS Teacher and selected to attend the Elevating and Celebrating Effective Teaching and Teachers (ECET2) Conference.
- Receiving a $50,000 Kansas Leadership Center transformation grant allowing 40 USD 465 staff members to attend KLC leadership development training during 2018.
- Contracting with Cumbernauld Village to open a pre-K, 4 year old “age-to-age” classroom at Cumbernauld during the 2018-19 school year.
- Receiving the W.K. Kellogg Foundation “Kansans Partnering for Policy: High Quality Early Childhood Education” grant for the next 3 years to innovate and further develop pre-school programming.
- Initiating and implementing WMS robotics partnership with Winfield Rubbermaid to support a competitive robotics team for the next two years.
- Initiating and implementing WHS partnership with G.E. Aviation to provide free OSHA training to WHS juniors and seniors.
- Hosting over 400 middle and high school students at WHS attending the Regional Student Council Conference.
- Partnering with Winfield Recreation Commission to host the 1st Annual Elementary Cross Country Race at the Kansas Veteran’s Home.
- Celebrating homecoming and inducting three new WHS alumni to the WHS Wall of Honor including Dave Nichols, Robert Clock, and Bob Hartley.
- And so much more………in every building, at every grade level!
For a recap of the 1st semester-in-review, check out the video found below, on the district’s homepage, or through the following link: https://youtu.be/8C3Ccm2oyeM
It’s also a great time to look ahead and acknowledge all that is before us!
- We will say good-bye and thank you to out-going BOE members Julie Thompson, Cheri Hulse, and Gail Sawyer and welcome three new BOE members including Julie St. Peter, Ed Loeb, and Craig Thompson.
- We begin the search for a new superintendent of schools. It will be important for the BOE to hear about the characteristics you feel are important in a new superintendent as Board members interview and select a person to serve as the next Superintendent of Schools during the month of January.
- Join us on March 2-3 for the 130th Anniversary Celebration of the WHS Orchestra, the FIRST high school orchestra in the United States.
- And join us for a whole host of athletic events, concerts, plays, field trips, site council meetings, parent conferences, and great learning experiences in and out of the classroom throughout the remainder of the school year! We couldn’t do it without you!
Most importantly, none of our accomplishments would take place without an outstanding staff, along with the exceptional parent and community support for public education in Winfield, Kansas!
#KansasCan #WinfieldWill! #YouMakeItHappen!