Addressing the BOE
over 3 years ago
If a concern has not been taken through the chain of command prior to being presented to the board, the board will refer the complaint to the superintendent for resolution. Personnel matters are not a topic for the public comment portion of any board meeting and will not, to the best of the president's ability, be allowed as a presentation topic.
Persons in the audience may express opinions on agenda items at the discretion of the board. Registering to address specific items may be done with the available request form. These guidelines have been developed to give patrons an opportunity to address the board in an orderly and constructive manner.
- Presentations shall not exceed three (3) minutes.
- Subject matter, other than policy issues, will be referred to the administration.
- Comments shall be limited to issues and not refer to specific personnel.
- Presentations must be relevant to the issue and promote the civility and dignity of the board meeting.
- The president will manage the public forum and inform participants that the board will not engage in the discussion except for clarification.
To place items on the agenda, the patron must follow board policy and submit a request to the superintendent. The president of the board will have final approval of items to be placed on the agenda.
The Board of Education must vote to approve the agenda as presented. The president of the board will determine if the patron will be given time during public comments to address the agenda item, or if the board will go to a hearing format on that particular agenda item.
Requests to comment during the board meeting must be received by the clerk prior to the board meeting formal call to order. The board president will recognize speakers in the order the requests are received.