What is Autism?
What are some of the characteristics of Autism?
Persons with autism may possess some of the following characteristics in various combinations and in varying degrees of severity:
- Inappropriate laughing or giggling
- No real fear of dangers
- Apparent insensitivity to pain
- May not want to cuddle
- May avoid eye contact
- May prefer to be alone
- Difficulty with basic communication
- Struggle with use of social skills
- Inappropriate attachments to objects
- Echoes words/phrases
- Spins objects or self
- Intense tantrums
- High need for structure & routine